After School & Vacation Care for Children with a Disability
Eligibility - Electors in the Division of Tasmanian Citizens
Gaylene James 25 Fitzroy Street Sorell Tasmania 7172
Sponsor: Jacquie Petrusma MP
Posting Date: 13/12/2012
Closing Date: 28/2/2013
Tabled Date: 5/3/2013
Referred To Minister: Premier on 5/3/2013
Response Due: 21/5/2013
TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the House of Assembly (Tasmania)
Tasmanian Citizens draw to the attention of the House:-
(1) The plight of parents whose children have a disability and the fact that they are unable to get vacation and after school care in a way that is compatible to parents whose children do not have a disability.
(2) The impact that this has on their ability to secure full time work and enjoy the financial benefits this brings.
(3) The impact that this has on the children to have opportunities to play with other children after school or during school holidays in a similar way that other children without a disability do.
(4) the fact that the lack of after school care and vacation care for children with a disability discriminates against these families in a way that would not be acceptable for families with children who do not have a disability.
Your petitioners therefore request the House to:-
(1) Call on the Minister for Human Services and the Minister for Education to:-
(a) work quickly to ensure that families with children with a disability have adequate access to afters school and vacation care; and
(b) work with their Federal counterparts to see if federal funding is available through Family Assistance Payments in a similar way to what is for other families.
(2) Consider an opportunity at current support schools such as South Support School, to use their premises which are ideally suited to such programs and who have staff/carers that are willing to work during school holiday periods.