Eligibility - Electors in the Division of Tasmanian Citizens
Kyle Barrett 262 Relbia Street Relbia Tasmania 7258
Sponsor: Michael Ferguson M.P.
Posting Date: 28/1/2011
Closing Date: 6/3/2011
Tabled Date: 17/3/2011
Referred To Minister: Premier on 17/3/2011
Response Due: 16/6/2011
TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the House of Assembly (Tasmania)
The petition of the undersigned Citizens of Tasmania draws to the attention of the House
(1) The heavily silted state of Home Reach in the Tamar River and the effect of this excessive silt built up
(a) The visual amenity of Launceston City particularly for Trevallyn residents;
(b) The threat to the economy of Launceston including employment losses that further siltation will trigger; and
(c) The loss of the recreational amenity of rowing and sailing in Home Reach which has historically been a feature of living in Launceston.
(2) Apparent lack of political will to address the immediate and long-term dredging needs in Home Reach
Your Petitioners therefore pray that the House:
Calls on the State Labor Government to immediately:
(1) Provide the $1m recently promised to the Launceston Flood Authority to recommence channel dredging.
(2) Recommit to its 2010 Election promise to provide $6m to establish a program to remove the excessive silt and continue an annual maintenance dredging program.
(3) Provide for continual improvement in catchment management techniques to minimise where possible the amount of silt flowing into Home Reach.